Tuesday, 13 March 2012

I'm back!

Oh dear readers, it has been way too long! It's been a little over 5 months since baby Roman entered the Ladybird household and turned it upside down. Motherhood has been the most profound emotional and physical experience of my life. There have been highs and lows, but I wouldn't change it for the world - Roman is such a beautiful little boy and it is so much fun seeing his personality emerge as he grows and grows right in front of our eyes.

The first 3 months with Roman were very challenging to say the least. I know it is strongly advocated in Australia but 'demand feeding' really didn't work for me.. in fact it made life a living nightmare. Even after the first few weeks I was constantly feeding Roman and we had got ourselves into a vicious cycle where he would only sleep on my breast... Needless to say, I was averaging 2 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, and that was neither good for me nor the baby. We tried absolutely everything to try and improve the situation, various books, visits to our local childhood health clinic, Tresillian, Karitane... and none of it worked. It was the most horrendous downward spiral... and then my GP told me about a book that I can say truly saved us. 'The New Little Contented Baby Book' by Gina Ford helped us get Roman into a good routine. After a lot of patience and hard work Roman is now very much the contented little baby... he sleeps well, feeds well, and is very happy little baby! Thankfully, Mr Ladybird and I are now enjoying parenthood after a very strenuous first few months.

To any new mums or mums-to-be out there reading this... there is a plethora of information out there, and the amount of advice you are bombarded with is overwhelming. Some of the worst advice I received as a new mum was, disappointingly, from health professionals. For instance, a paediatrician advised us that babies don't get wind and that colic is a myth... All I can say is, mother knows best - only you truly know your baby and can decide what is best for the both of you. In this sense, I would definitely encourage you to follow your mama instincts!

At 5 months, things are getting very interesting with little Roman. He's having a great time rolling around on the floor, babbling away about goodness knows what, and... starting on solids! Watching his little face whenever he tastes a new fruit or vegetable is just priceless, and I do hope to be able to share some of these pictures with you all. Baby's naptime is almost up and I have a million things to do this morning so I'd best sign off for now... I guess this wasn't really a food post, but more of a personal update from me after such a long absence! Hopefully it won't be too long before my next update and hopefully some tasty recipes.

Love to you all!

Ladybird xxx

PS - The cake pictured at the start of this post was created by my very talented friend, Sharon of Sharon Wee Creations.


  1. Nice to hear from you! Roman is so cute :)

  2. Arghhhh- Cutie! Congratulations and I'm so happy things are going better now! you must have been EXHAUSTED you poor thing!

  3. Thanks. I am very happy Now start your work.

  4. Welcome back! Roman is an absolute darling-look at that smile! :D

  5. He's too cute!!!!!!!!! Congrats on your bundle of joy!

  6. So very sweet and congratulations!

    I too have a little baby now - a lot to keep on top of.

    Glad you have found what works for you. Enjoy :)

  7. He is just the most precious looking thing. So pleased that you've survived - I can't even begin to imagine how harrowing that must be... Can't wait to hear if Roman's inherited a palate as discerning as his Mum.

  8. Hi everyone, thank you for all of your lovely comments. Lovely to be back in the blog-o-sphere :)


Related Posts with Thumbnails