Friday 7 January 2011

Orange, cardamom and almond cake with orange-blossom yoghurt


The orange and almond cake is one of my all-time favourites and when I came across this old GT recipe, I just knew I had to give it a try. It was quite a while ago that I discovered it, and stuffed the recipe away in my folder that I fondly refer to as 'those recipes I'd like to get around to making... some day'. With a fresh year ahead of me, it seemed only timely that I conquer procrastination in the kitchen and get on with some of these recipes :)

Orange, cardamom and almond cake with orange-blossom yoghurt
Recipe from Gourmet Traveller (December 2009/January 2010 issue)

Ingredients
2 oranges, washed
250g caster sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
pinch of ground cinnamon
300g blanched almonds, finely ground in a food processor (I used store bought almond meal instead)
1 tsp baking powder
5 eggs
Puring icing sugar, for dusting

Orange-blossom yoghurt
150g thick natural yoghurt
20g pure icing sugar
1-2 tsp orange blossom water, to taste

Method

1. Place oranges in a large saucepan, cover completely with cold water and bring to the boil over high heat. Cover with baking paper and a plate to weigh the oranges down, then cook until oranges are soft (2 to 2.5 hours). You may need to top up with extra water to keep oranges covered. Drain, cool, then remove and discard calyx and seeds from oranges and coarsely chop.


2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Process oranges, sugar and spices in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl, add almonds and baking powder and set aside.


3. Meanwhile, whisk eggs in an electric mixer until pale (3-5 minutes), add orange mixture and whisk to combine (10-20 seconds). Pour into a buttered and baking paper-lined 22cm springform pan and bake for around 50 minutes until golden and an inserted skewer withdraws clean Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then release sides of pan and cool completely.



4. Meanwhile, for the orange-blossom yoghurt, combine ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until required.

5. Dust the cake with icing sugar and serve with the yoghurt.



This cake is incredibly moist... the texture is sublime! The flavour of the spices is so delicate and doesn't distracting from the orange flavour - they just add a nice little twist on a classic. For me, I could quite happily eat this cake on its own without the yoghurt as I was not a big fan of it as a side. Next time I make this, I think I'll sprinkle some chopped pistachios over the cake and serve it with creme fraiche in place of the orange-blossom. But before then, I have a heck of a lot of other recipes to share with you, so I had better get cracking!

Ladybird x

34 comments:

  1. Wow, this cake looks amazing. Almond is one of my all-time favorite flavors. I can only imagine how good this tastes. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love a good orange cake. This is a must try. Bookmarked to make soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake is awesome and it's gluten free...got to bookmark this :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing cake :) i adore oranges, have to try this :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, those cakes with the whole oranges in them are so lovely and moist. And I agree that some pistachios would be make this gorgeous cake even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like one of the yummiest orange cake I have ever seen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the height of your cake. Some flourless cakes are too low for my liking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Orange and almond flourless cakes truly have the most divine texture. Have been on the hunt for a recipe since a friend made one for us. I might be in luck now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep hearing how using whole oranges in cakes makes them super moist. I must get around to actually making one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I am in love!!! I love whole oranges in cake and almond instead of flour. Thank you so much for putting this recipe up, I can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Anna,
    Very Good Cake. I am proud of you, shall we make this cake without egg?

    Regards
    Parul

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos! Seeing how much I adore cardamom and love almonds, I wish I could make this. Alas! Orange is not my friend. I can still imagine, though...

    ReplyDelete
  13. this cake looks amazing.. a good orange cake is really hard to find and i think you did an excellent job:) thanks for sharing this recipe. will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so so good and so moist! A job well done definitely. I'm hungry for cake now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks delicious. I like the use of the whole orange - very unique. And orange blossom yogurt must be magical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I die. This looks amazing!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've made a similar cake and really loved it, it was so moist! Yours look gorgeous Anna! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, I do like a really good orange cake, this one is a must try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got some cardamom for christmas and I've never really used it before - maybe this is a good time to start!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmm my friend was asking me what to use cardamom- i'm going to send her this way so she can check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a fragrant sounding cake, it's a must to have some fabulous flourless cakes up your sleeve these days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i always love whole orange cake! And this sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, I like the idea of blitzing whole oranges. Does boiling it remove the bitterness of the pith, I wonder...?

    ReplyDelete
  24. mmm looks so delicious :P* i love making this cake with mandarins yuuuum

    ReplyDelete
  25. agradesco por compartir esta excelente receta.felicidades

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, this sounds amazing! I have been looking for a pretty, and delicious gluten-free cake to serve for tea, and I think I just found it! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks delicious and I'm sharing it (with a link back to you) on my blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’d appreciate some feedback. The cake ended up being dense and gooey but not in a pleasant way. I actually thew it away, it was that unsalvageable. I followed the recipe exactly. Perhaps the the oranges I poached were too large? How do I know how much to use?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello, can you suggest any other ingredients for Almonds as i am allergic. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  30. Didn’t work for me either. The oranges were bitter and the cake was more like a pudding. Such a shame as it sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, this is my second time making this cake, but this time I used clementines. I hope it come out as well as with the orange. Right now it is in the oven. Cross my fingers��������

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you! My family loved it, even my teenager! Now I want to experiment with lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am here to tell you about a natural remedy that is
    guaranteed to make you wonder why your doctor didn't tell
    you about it. Then, on the other hand, it is pretty obvious
    why your doctor didn't, because that's not his job, is
    it? But, seriously, promise me you won't get too angry
    with your health practitioner, it's really not their
    fault. They can only practice what they're told to
    practice, right?
    When your health is at risk there's no time for Tom
    foolery, you've got to get down to the cause and nip it
    in the bud. So you've been suffering from painful gout
    attacks have you? Well, allow me to give you a new
    perspective on the solution to what plagues you I was once in your shoe until my college friend introduce me to Dr Itua herbal center which cure my hiv/herpes after drinking it for two weeks as instructed, Dr Itua is an africa herbal doctor who has natural power to cure the following diseases: Herpes,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Fibroid,
    Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic,Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic.
    As Dr Itua assure me that all those disease below that he guaranty 100% permanent cure to all these disease I believe Dr Itua so much because he help me cure my hiv/ herpes which has being my burden in life so I promised Dr Itua that I will testify about his work online after curing me and that is what I'm doing here so please if you are suffering from those diseases do not hesitate to write Dr Itua Herbal Center On Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or chat with him on whatsapp:+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails