There is no doubt that the lamington is an Australian icon. Among other things, the beloved 'lamo' is an favourite food item on Australia Day. So how can a classic be improved upon?.. Turn it into a cupcake of course!
Here is my original Australia Day Cupcake recipe...
Cupcakes (makes 8)
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
1 tbsp hot water
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and put 8 liners in a muffin/cupcake tray.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of the flour with the second egg.
3. Mix in flour and water until just combined - don't overmix.
4. Divide the mixture among the 8 cupcake liners and cook for around 12-15 minutes, but keep an eye on them. Cupcakes should be golden and springy, do a skewer test to check they are cooked.
5. Remove from oven and allow to sit 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
In the meantime, start preparing the Chocolate Dipping Sauce to coat the cupcakes. Here is what you'll need:
150g icing sugar
20g cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water
2 tbsp milk
1. Combine icing sugar and cocoa powder (no need to sift).
2. With a fork, gradually mix in water and milk until the sauce reaches a smooth consistency.
3. Pour a generous amount of coconut onto a large plate ready for coating the cupcakes.
Now for the fun part - Coating and decorating!
1. Peel the paper liners away from the cupcakes and set the cupcakes aside for dipping and coating.
2. Coat the cupcakes in the chocolate sauce using forks to help you turn them. Allow excess sauce to run off.
3. Transfer cupcake to plate of coconut and turn to coat using clean forks. Carefully set aside.
4. Repeat process for remaining cupcakes, then top with whipped cream and glace cherries.
The spongy cake soaked up the chocolate sauce beautifully, keeping the cupcakes delectably moist. I was delighted with how these turned out, and Mr Ladybird enjoyed them too, proudly declaring that henceforth I should make these cupcakes every Australia Day!
So tell me readers, do you have any special Australia Day recipes? I'd love to hear about them :)
Happy Australia Day!