Sunday 31 January 2010

Chocolate Fondant for Two


All I need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt!
Lucy, Peanuts (Charles M. Schulz)

With Valentine's Day coming up, you might be looking for a special dessert to prepare for you and your loved one. A chocolate fondant is a perfect dessert to complete a romantic dinner for two. So boys, listen up! If you really want to show your lady how much you care for her, go the extra mile and surprise her with this decadent dessert. I guarantee it will melt her heart (but I would encourage you to practise making this at least once before the special day).

These puddings are just cooked enough to form an outer crust, and inside the pudding is warm, luxurious chocolate goodness... all gooey and oozey.. Mmmmm...


This recipe comes from Gordon Ramsay and can be prepared ahead of time - simply keep it in the fridge and put it in the oven when you're ready. Although Mr Ramsay is not my favourite celebrity chef, I must say that this is an excellent recipe. I think this is also a recipe that one could be creative with and come up with some interesting variations. For example, you could add a splash of liquer such as Baileys, or maybe some orange zest.


Ingredients
50 g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
2 tsp cocoa powder
50 g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa)
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/3 c caster sugar
1/3 c plain flour
To serve - icing sugar, vanilla ice cream and strawberries (optional)

Method
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees celcius.
2. Butter 2 dariol moulds/ramekins (I used 100ml capacity dariol moulds) and then place in fridge for 5 minutes. Remove then butter a second time, this time using a pastry brush and brushing upwards and outwards. Dust liberally with cocoa powder and shake out any excess.
3. Slowly melt the chocolate and butter in a small bowl set over a pan of hot water, then take off the heat and stir until smooth. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg, whole egg and sugar until pale and thick, then incorporate the chocolate mixture.
5. Sift the flour over the mixture and gently fold in.
6. Divide the mixture between the ramekins/moulds leaving a 1cm space at the top for the mixture to rise. Bake for 10 minutes, or until a crust forms on top of the fondant.


7. Turn the fondants out onto plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and a few berries.

Tips
  • If you can't find dariol moulds, use ramekins instead. Ramekins are available in a variety of sizes, but I think 100ml (as I used) makes a perfect size.
  • This recipe makes enough to fill two 150 ml moulds/ramekins if you wish, but be sure to cook for a little longer in this case - about 12 minutes.
     
Enjoy :)

Ladybird x

20 comments:

  1. Yummm, they look delicious
    I've been a little hesitant to make fondants in the past, but I think its worth a try.
    They just make it out to be so difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man melty chocolate innards i want i want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks really cute- baileys sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious!! You've just inspired me to start planning our valentines feast... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that chocolatey gooey inside looks amazing! Although I think its a better idea if my bf cooks it for me hehe :)

    ROse

    ReplyDelete
  6. droooool* can you tell us when the neighbours next door move out ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah to Valentine's Day. I'd prefer to have this every day of the week :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love a bit of Baileys in this! And, like you, I don't think much of Mr Ramsay either =p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at that oozy chocolate goodness! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  10. God these look good. That goopy inside is enough to melt the coldest of hearts. I wonder what it would do for a relationship if you overcooked it though? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so decadent! Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi all, thank you for your comments :)

    Kristy - Give it a go! I don't think it is as hard as it's made out to be.

    Suze - chocolate innards indeed.. hehe

    Gastronomy Gal - Yep, I think I'll have to give a Baileys version a try some time

    St Olive - Thanks! And thanks for stopping by the blog.

    Joy - that's great! I'm sure you'll come up with an amazing lovers' feast

    Rose - haha! I think getting cooked for is pretty good, it adds a special flavour, ha ha

    Chez - You'll be the first to know if & when they move out ;)

    Y - You're right, I've bn craving it since!

    Mademoiselle - yep, hope to give the Baileys one a go, will have to blog it when I do

    Conor - Hrmmm never thought of that scenario! That would be a disaster :(

    Karine - Easy peasy decadence is the best. I think this is the little black dress of chocolate desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I read the title of your post, I thought 'two? I think not!', and at the end of your post, i still think not. Something yummy and gooey like this...should be eaten while hiding in the corner of your house so no one tries to steal...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yumm...I've always wanted to make this! I've never had a chocolate fondant before, but they look so good- with the gooey inside and everything! I love the presentation- I thought it was from a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yummy :O)
    i have ramekins! hehe
    thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This could melt anyone's heart I think. perfect for Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds too easy to be true!
    I just love fondant, and my daughter does even more. Now I know what to make for dessert tomorrow evening!(After the "Canard à l'orange avec pommes de terre gratinée…)Merci beaucoup!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this site, it's so important to know more about this topic, keep it up and of course every time I have time I'll love to check out again

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are the best. Made them several times between 2014-2016 before moving to China for six years. Now that I have escaped the Middle Kingdom, and returned to the real world, I will be making them for Valentines today.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails