Wednesday, 16 June 2010
Watching the recent vegetarian challenge on Masterchef, I was inspired by Claire and Jonathon's fig and goat's cheese dish. I felt that the flavour combination would translate well into a pizza, so I gave it a try, and it was very successful :)
An original Ladybird creation. Per pizza (serves 1):
1 greek pitta bread*
2 tbsp passata
30g goat's cheese, crumbled
30g mozzarella, grated
1.5 figs, thinly sliced
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
* I imagine a homemade pizza base would be beautiful with these toppings, but Greek pitta breads make for a quick and easy alternative. They also go beautifully crispy once baked.
1. Place pitta on a tray and top with the passata and season.
2. Arrange the fig slices and the cheeses. Season and drizzle with a little olive oil.
3. Bake at 200 degrees celsius for about 20 minutes or until golden.
4. Top with rocket and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
5. Serve immediately.
For a slight variation, you could add proscuitto if you wanted to.
I am not a big fig eater but I am totally won over with this combination. The caramelisation and sweetness of the fig beautifully offset the strong flavour of the goat's cheese, and the rocket and balsamic added an extra kick of flavour. Yummy :)