Wednesday, 2 June 2010
It's official - quorn is here!
I recently had the pleasure of receiving a number of Quorn products to try before they hit stores around the country - I know, pretty cool, huh?! Quorn is a meat free, soy free protein and is perfect for vegetarians. I have tried other such products from Sanitarium without much success or enjoyment, but quorn is in a league of its own. It really does taste good, it's very versatile.. and it has finally become available in Australia!
Below is an adapted recipe from the Quorn UK website, and makes for a very tasty dinner. The freshness of the lime and fresh coriander combined with the fragrance from the cardamom is wonderful. This is even a good recipe to try if you wanted to replace the quorn with chicken.
For the tikka marinade:
300g bag Quorn pieces, straight from the freezer
1 tbsp grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 c natural yoghurt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 small brown onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
seeds from 6 green cardamoms
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 large red chilli, chopped (with seeds if you like it hot)
3 tbsp tomato purée
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves Garnish
juice 1/2 lime
freshly ground black pepper
dollop pouring cream (optional)
1. Combine the tikka marinade ingredients and marinate the Quorn pieces for up to 2 hours.
2. To make the masala sauce, heat the vegetable oil in a deep pan or a saucepan nd sauté the onion, ginger, chilli and garlic and fry for about 5 minutes until softened but not coloured.
3. Add the dry spices and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes then add the tomato purée, water, sugar and salt. Partly cover and simmer this mixture gently for 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the Quorn pieces and marinade into the masala sauce and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the chopped coriander leaves, lime juice and freshly ground pepper. Stir in cream if desired.
6. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and a slice of lime along with basmati rice.
Quorn will be available from Coles and Woolworths by end June.
For more information, check out the Quorn website: http://www.quorn.com.au/